Blackhawk Combustioneering has been serving the industrial combustion industry since 1969. Our strength comes from the client relationships we have built and maintained over our long history.
When you work with Blackhawk Combustioneering, you’re working with the support and resources of our experienced staff: managers, engineers and G1 combustion technicians with many years of combustion service experience.
Meet our Management Team
Jim Walton - General Manager
With over forty years of experience in heavy industrial process heating applications including 10 years spent in the Combustion Engineering Department at Stelco Inc. Jim is a Combustion Technician with a TSSA G-1 Certificate and a Certificate in The Metallurgy of Iron and Steel from McMaster University. His experience includes projects in Steel Mill Melt Shops, By-Products Plants, Coke Oven Batteries, Rotary Lime Kilns, Galvanizing Furnaces, Batch Anneal Furnaces, Reheat Furnaces, and Gas Mixing Stations. Jim also has experience with non-ferrous melting furnaces as well as rotary aggregate dryers for the asphalt producing industry and fire insurance investigation expertise.
George Faulkner, P. Eng. – Senior Combustion Engineer
George is a registered Ontario Professional Engineer, received his Bachelor of Chemical Engineering from McMaster University in 1979 and completed the Metallurgy of Iron and Steel program at McMaster University in 2011.
George gained his combustion solutions experience while working for Coen Co at their Quebec and Northern California locations. He has provided application engineering using a variety of fuels on projects from single burner/boiler or kiln to multi-fired unit applications. Additional combustion experience in Duct burner firing was obtained while working for Davis Combustion Systems (Forney), which provided Duct burners for gas turbine gen sets. As engineering manager, at Lattner Boiler an ASME certified manufacturer, George has gained experience in high pressure steam and hot water boiler applications and boiler controls. Under this assignment he designed, to ASME code, a new high pressure steam boiler line for the Drycleaner industry. In addition, a new low NOx boiler was designed to meet California’s emission requirements. To back up his theoretical and design work he has spent two years working in the field on commissioning and startup for industrial combustion clients.
Doug Whitelaw – Manager, Combustion/Instrumentation
A Combustion Technician with a TSSA G-1 Certificate, as well as a licensed electrician, Doug has 40 years of experience installing and servicing various types of industrial burner systems and controls throughout North America including:
- Process combustion systems for the asphalt, steel, automotive and aluminum industries
- Industrial instrumentation, PLC programming, service and repair of pneumatic control systems
- Aggregate dryer and bag house issues
- Hot oil heater repair and piping layout
- Conversions of oil firing equipment to natural gas, liquid propane
- Installation and service of mass flow combustion systems for use on oxy/fuel EAF furnace burners in the steel industry
- Installation and commissioning of linkageless control systems used to control fuel/air ratio on large burners over 100 million BTU/hr
- Autocad drawings for TSSA approvals
David J Hartwell - Manager, Projects & Installations
College educated in the UK and Canada, Dave is a certified Industrial and Construction Millwright as well as a certified Gas Technician under TSSA.
Dave has over 25 years of practical heavy industrial maintenance and management experience including: engineering, procurement, construction and installation of projects from $500,000 to $1 million+. He has specialized experience in Oxy-Fuel Burner Systems, Energy Efficiency Programs, Heat Recovery Systems, Concept Designs, Improvement Recommendations with engineering support for the in-house installation, maintenance and technical teams including:
- Oxy-Fuel Burner modifications for existing Electric Arc Steel making Furnace
- Improved Burners and Controls for Ladle and Tundish Preheater Systems
- Project Management and Major Contractor for upgrade installation for a 5 – 8 Oxy-Fuel Burner System, complete with multi-function PLC Controls integrated in the steelmaking facility on the Electric Arc Furnace. Include major repairs to primary oxygen delivery pipeline and temporary Oxy-Fuel Burner while complying with all Regulatory Authorities without loss of steelmaking capabilities
- Safely completed project around steelmaking operations productivity
- Complete overhaul and upgrade to a three Ladle Preheater station with relocations of valve trains, piping and controls during continuous production operations
- Exhaust Stack Heat Recovery system to benefit efficient use of waste heat and direct it for useful process heating of Pickling and Wash Tanks
- Energy Efficiency Study in collaboration with gas supplier utilities to maximize energy consumption
By applying technical expertise and knowledge of industrial process combustion systems and instrumentation, Blackhawk Combustioneering can provide full turnkey solutions in-house. We routinely do repairs and combustion analysis for any process heating application.
Please contact us today for the combustion equipment and expertise perfectly suited to your application.